Shop AvantGardenDecor Now!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sustainable Buzz

     I can't believe it, they are finally here, my urban farm yard is complete.  My wife and  I drove to Summit New Jersey, to pay a visit to Patrica and Alex's bee yard.  I have to admit I was very much impressed to see the amount of hives they currently maintained on their property.  There had to be at least 20 hives which  I think I managed to count, I may have missed a few because I felt like a kid in a candy store.  What impressed me the most is how calm the bee's were.  The honey bee's did not seemed bothered by our presence.  They just kept buzzing in and out of the bee yard foraging for nectar and pollen.  Everywhere we looked a sea of  flowers.  Patrica's home is landscaped from corner to corner in an assortment of blooming purple and white wild flowers, vegetable plants and grape vines.  It resembles a country cottage, the kind you would see on a Hallmark card. 

     We had arrived at their home earlier than expected, it was a pleasant drive from Staten Island.  Patrica greeted us with the utmost hospitality and was very gracious.  She gave us a tour of their garden and then showed us through their bee yard.   She told us what she knew of about the bee's but then explained it was her husband Alex which is the gardener and beekeeper, she chuckled and said comically,  "Every time I come home, I don't know what else to expected, as Alex keeps bring something new home!"  She's then invited us to sit on their porch while we  awaited the arrival of her husband Alex. 

     As my wife and I sat there, we observed as the honey bee's buzzed by, not once did we feel threaten by their presence, it was almost zen, peaceful.   I watch as my wife sat there as clam and could be.  Not once did she go running through the hills like some mad women.  You need to understand that my wife has an extreme fear of insects.  However, I was pleasantly surprised at her stillness, as we both watched the bee's in their natural state.

     A few minutes later Alex arrived, as he walked up to the porch he greeted us as if he known us forever.  He's a most pleasant individual, he took his time with us, explaining and giving us his take on beekeeping, then he asked me what type of bee's I wanted.  He asked, "Black or Orange?"  Of course I said, "What......?"  He repeated himself, "Black of Orange?" Then I realized he was asking me if I preferred a dark color body type to light color body type.  Since I didn't want to look completely stupid, I went for the Orange color body type, because this the only bee type I know, which is the Italian bee.  He said, "Good, get your box".  As I went back to our car to retrieve the my hive box I could help but be full of gitty excitement, then Alex led both of us, my wife and I, to the bee yard.

   My wife stood about 12 feet away, just in case she needed to run, smart woman, my wife.   Yes, now that's the wife I know, I knew her stillness would not last long, it was just a matter of time.  I on the other hand,  had a front row seat smack in the middle of Alex's bee yard.  Alex asked me to open my hive box, as he lit his smoker.  He then puffed some smoke into a nuc box which contained the orange bodied bee's which I had requested.  (The Italians)   My back was turned to him as I opened my hive box to receive the bee's, so I was a bit distracted.  Then I realized I was now surrounded by  massive amounts of buzzing bee's flying passed my head and I had no bee suite or veil.  I should have been running down the street as a mad man.  But some how Alex seem to be as calm as a cucumber as he picked up a frame he then began to  point out the worker bee's and the larva.  He pointed out young bee's to distinguish them from the older ones.  Next he picked up another frame pointed out the Queen.  I have to admit this whole experience was extremely cool.  To be that close to bee's without getting stung, well  that was truly amazing. His peaceful manner in handling the bee's made me feel safe, therefore I was as calm as he was.  He then placed all four frames into my hive box puffed more smoke into the hive and soon  all the bee's settled into their new home. 

     I have to admit I was pretty excite about the whole process.   As Alex help me place the hive in the car, I could not help but to think, "I hope I can maintain these bee's as well as Alex has done".    I thanked Alex for his hospitality, we shook hands and said I would keep in touch.   As I sat in the car my wife gave me a glance,  as a reminder that we have a car full of bee's in our back seat.  We looked at each other without saying a word,  we both were thinking the same thing, "What were we thinking!"    We laughed, and said, "Well lets take the little one's home!"  And so begins our first attempt towards a sustainable honey production. 

     So I want to take the opportunity to thank both of you, Alex and Patrica, for your time and for making this beekeeping adventure possible.  For without both of you this could never have been possible.  Thank you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment