Shop AvantGardenDecor Now!

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sustainable Partnerships.

     I finally received my bee hives in the mail.  The first hive I purchased through Clear Branch Bee Supply, it is my first starter hive, I am pleased with the quality, construction and speed in which it was delivered to me.   I made a few Modifications  to  this hive in order to use it as my transporting box when I purchase the nuc later this week.  However it looks like I will many year of use from this hive, will be ordering more from them.  I put it together with the help of my 5 year old niece, who insisted on helping me.  So what would have taken me and hour and a half to finish, took me six hours with her help, but who could say no to an eagar beaver like my niece.  She's such a curious George that one.  Having to stop and explain every step in the process of building the hive, why bees live in a box, how many live in the box and when we would collect the honey!  Her curiosity is why I always allow her to participate  these kind of projects. Her interest in these projects will enabler to gain a love and  respect for nature at any early age, and hopefully through her life.  She has already asked me to order her a bee suite, so that we have it ready for her, when she helps me to harvest honey.  Theirs just one problem,  I don't even have the bee's yet!

     The other standard Langstroth type hive was order through Evens cedar bee hives.   Evens Cedar bee hives manufactures its hives using cedar wood. When it arrived in the mail I was very much pleased by the quality, materials and the cedar fragrance coming from the hive boxes.  Besides the quality of  their product, I also learned that Ryan Evens uses the proceeds of the sales of his hives to support the following causes. Evens Cedar Bee hives causes they support.  If your looking to purchase a bee hive with the added benefit of having your purchase benefit someone in need, please feel free to check out his site you wont be disappointed.

     Still my favorite site is world of beekeeping, Ron Upshaw and his collaborator Shawn  have created an all in one website. Their is enough information on this site to keep a hobby beekeeper well informed and it is ever changing and evolving.  It has a forum where like individuals with a passion for beekeeping can share their ideas, success and failer in this hobby.   Ron and Shawn  have created a beginners DVD for those considering beekeeping as a hobby which is available through their site, and they also have a second DVD to compliment their first, ready for release.   If you have ever been curious about beekeeping give their website a try.

     Starting this bee project takes me one step closer to accomplishing the goal of sustainability.    Being able to produce my very own raw honey is the best outcome of this project.    It also creates bee habitat that will benefit both the Eco system and the fruit production in my vegetable garden and that of my neighbors as well.   Hopefully I will be successful in this current endeavor, understanding that bee's are not pets, they a wild creatures and answer to no one but their Queen.  I am just a keeper, that has been allowed to participate in their daily activities.   Hopefully it will be a successful partnership between the bee's and I, where both will benefit.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment