Shop AvantGardenDecor Now!

Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Savvy Gardener.

     For all those savvy gardeners out there who read my blog page this one's for you.  I have been working on a new project here on my urban farm which I am extremely excited about.  However before I get to this project let me give an updated status on the progress on my little patch of green Earth. 

     It's almost the middle of August and summer will be taking its' hiatus and fall will soon be taking its place.  Soon the trees will being to change color and the day's will be getting shorter and nights longer.    In its wake of  summer's end their will be remnants of something which was grown on this urban farm.  I will fill my compost bins full of decaying matter for next years vegetable production.  Yet their is still time to plant a fall crop to harvest later on this season.  A planting of lettuce, broccoli, garlic and any other cold crop can be planted before this winter sets in.  The chickens are doing great as always.  Their in full laying mode, and they are loving their new home.  This is the hens second summer with us and they have given us a good amount of eggs this summer more than we are able to eat.  So I will be giving some away to friends and neighbors to share in our reaping.

     Since the arrival of the bee's I finally have fruit on my plants.  The tomatoes, squash and cucumbers have all given me a production of nice sized fruit.  All this has been made possible because I decided to maintain a bee hive on my property.  I can't believe how much of a difference in the production of edible fruit there is now that the honey bee's are here.  Three weeks ago I had nothing, just flowers no fruit.  Now I have tomato plants toppling over from the weight of all the fruit it bears, along with squash the size of my forearm.  It just goes to show you the importance of having bee's in the world, for with out them we'd starve. 

    Now for my latest project.  I am still working towards having a working propagation nursery here on my Urban farm.  The lavenders are all lined out and are growing out nicely.  Yet, I still feel that somethings missing.  Their is a lot of talk on CNN about the American economy, and how it is getting worse.  It just makes me sick to my stomach when I see friends and family losing jobs and their homes because of bad management of American Funds.  I guess we can all share in the blame.  Still I can't sit here and do nothing, watching the news doesn't help either.  It is up to us, the little people, those of us who think radically and outside the box who will lead the forefront in rejuvenating this economy.   I will not rest until I do my part in achieving this goal. I will create my own stimulus package.  Instead of being part of the problem I will focus on being part of the solution.  I have been in open conversations with a few nursery growers that I have had the pleasure of working with in the past and I  have come to realize in one of those conversations that this blog was missing something.  What I have decided to do is add a link that will direct you to my online store which is currently under consturction and will be found in the next couple of weeks on the upper left corner of this Blog page, titled "The Sustainable On line Store".  There you will find affordable garden plants to add value to your homes or to give away as gift. Creating the garden of your dreams doesn't have be expensive.  Most DIYer's get their landscaping done on a budget, even though it may look like they spent hundreds on it.   If you are a frugal gardener such as myself then you will love the deals on this page.  If however, their is a special plant or shrub you can't located or you haven't purchased one because the price is to high, drop me a comment and I will see if I can get it listed on my web page at a more  economical price.   As always trying to keep it green on a modest buget.  And again this will be a work in progress stay tuned and look for the Link.

No comments:

Post a Comment